Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Project Expanded

So I am attempting to understand Whitman's views on slavery and how that relates to his peers as well as the common American of the time. I am slowly realizing that there really wasn't a common thread belief throughout the people, hence the separation of the North and the South. I am discovering though that there was a common desire to believe in something. When reading an article about Whitman's relation to pro-slavery and how he was marketed to the south as "the rage" as a strategy to get his work out there, Van Evrie, the editor of the Day Book, a pro-slavery newspaper, was compared to Whitman in their reader and who they appealed to
"socially insecure whites in search of a sense of identity that could help make the existing social and economic systems more tolerable.”

 I think what I want to do now is find that voice within Whitman and his peers and capture it in the Cento poem I am creating. In order to do so, I will research further about the Free Soil movement, something Whitman was said to be apart of, and artists on both ends of the slavery spectrum such as William Douglas O'Connor, John Townsend Trowbridge, Franklin Benjamin Sandborn, Van Evrie etc. I will also search through newspaper articles that these people were featured in such as Commonwealth, an anti-slavery paper, and Day Book, a pro-slavery paper. I am hoping to find a common thread as mentioned earlier having to do with a search for an identity.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so dope! I studied history as an undergrad and would have been thrilled to work on a project like this. As you mention, I too have only recently understood that there was not a common thread about of belief in America about slavery. I think you can also touch on how much America meant to Walt and how much slavery distressed him even though he was not an abolitionist; maybe even tie in Lincoln? Or something about Walt and Peter Doyle (the ex-confederate soldier and Walt's love). Bravo! I cannot wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea and the theme you're choosing to use. It will be a unique way of compiling the similar voices of poets while also presenting the stance these particular people took during a very crucial moment in American history. It's like an awesome hybrid history/poetry project. Good stuff Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice proposal. I will definitely read it when finished! Be sure to take a look at the University of Virginia's website for Uncle Tom's Cabin -- there is a lot of interesting information on there that you might be able to use in your poem or as background support for your themes. Website is http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/ -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! The Free Soil movement is really rich in terms of abolitionist/anti-abolistionist, race etc. ideas, arguments, emotions. And, of course, Walt edited a pretty well known Free Soil newspaper. E.g. why not help yourself to a little less of one kind of labor by just looking at some Free Soil documents? and even poems . . .

    ReplyDelete